Thursday, August 30, 2007

SYTYCD v. AI

It was just a matter of time before I figured out why “So You Think You Can Dance” made me giddy in my shoes while “American Idol” made me want to throw things at the television.

At some fork in the Road of Objectivity, America took a sharp left and ended up in that no man’s land of “of course you can, honey.” Shower-singers started to fancy themselves the love child of Mariah Carey and Frank Sinatra. Karaoke fanatics in dark smoky bars started to envision a life of Grammy Awards and sold-out tours. All you need is this DVD from Randy and Paula...

Before I go further, let me just say that I think Kelly Clarkson can rock. I enjoy her CDs and the way she’s banking the whole Janis Joplin-scratchy voice thing and I think she benefited fully from the fact that she was on the first season, before AI started gorging on its own success. I have no problem acknowledging talent in others. But if Kelly Clarkson had tried out for subsequent seasons, I truly don’t think she would have made it to the top two. I mean, Justin Guarini was the runner-up? YEESH. I watched “From Justin to Kelly” and it made me do two things: (i) throw away my crimping iron, and (ii) thank the stars above that KC had managed to avoid the Rachel Zoes of the world.

So now I come to SYTYCDDR (<3 beckyloo) and it’s like walking out of an airport into the most gorgeous weather you can possibly imagine.

I didn’t want to like it. I love dancing and watching dance and I thought the powers-at-work were going to muck it up just like they had AI. I was so, so, SO wrong. Because you can’t fake dance. You might not be good at all the different styles, but when it comes down to it, your feet either work or they don’t. You don’t get into the top 20, let alone the top 10, if you don’t have some serious chops. And this is where my biggest problem lies with AI: where is the challenge in singing a BeeGees song one week and a Bon Jovi song the next? Is this a singing competition? Or is it a makeover/popstar competition, What Not to Wear meets Grease? If they were to just come out and say that it was the latter, I’d be fine. Truly! I would take it at face value and leave it be, perhaps checking it out every once in a while for some snarktastic fun. It’s just that they label it as a singing competition. As if they’re challenging these singers on some extremely high level. Please. Half of being a singer is being a musician. SYTYCDDR recognizes that dancing has different facets. That’s why they do partner work and solo work. Goodness knows what would happen if AI made its recruits Sing for Their Lives!

One of the things that I enjoy so much about SYTYCDDR is that artistic growth is encouraged. We were all rooting for Danny to get Mia. We recognize that in this magnificent and accomplished dancer there is a man who is still coming to grips with his talent. Sara wore heels for the first time, Dominic danced a samba, Sabra's only been dancing for four years, Pasha danced a solo…the list goes on. I just have a hard time believing that there were any ‘firsts’ on AI this season.

Maybe that’s just the nature of AI. Maybe I should just get over it. I just wonder what would happen if they handed out Elizabethan art songs one week. Or duets. And no, hamming it up for a Ford Focus commercial doesn’t count.

“So what do you do, dear?” “I’m a musician.” “That’s nice. Do you play an instrument?” “I sing.” “OH! You should audition for American Idol!” “I really don’t think they’re going to want me.” “Why not?” “Because you have to either be hot or wear a crazy costume to get on the show.” “Well, I’m sure we could find you a hat or something...”

4 comments:

Beckylooo said...

God bless you for spreading the SYTYCDDR moniker. Seriously.

I only have one bit of disagreement: I would say that ALL of being a singer is about being a musician. God I hate AI.

Brünnheather said...

i totally agree and thank you for pointing that out. i continued to marinate this morning and realized that there was a constant demand for 'artistry' on SYTYCDDR, yet i rarely (if ever) heard the word 'musicianship' uttered on AI.

Reese The Law Girl said...

I'm going to be the total lame-o, but what does SYTYCDDR mean? Sorry, I'm a fan of the show, but never heard of SYTYCDDR. What does the last "DR" stand for?

Beckylooo said...

DANCE REVOLUTION!!

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION

It started cause me and my roomie found the hit arcade game dance dance revolution around the same time season one premiered. I've been trying to spread it ever since. Heather's the only one who's indulged me. god bless her.